Careers Expo Checklist
Before the expo
- Check the list of hotels/companies
- Identify the employers you want to meet
- Research the employers as much as possible to prepare for the conversation on the day
- Prepare an ‘elevator pitch’ or a way of introducing yourself
During the expo
- Show curiosity, ask questions – remember to listen
- Where appropriate in the conversation, tell them something about yourself that will help create a connection
- Ask for business cards
- Ensure you are recording who you met
- Collect relevant information from the hotels such as flyers, brochures etc.
- Make eye contact and smile
- Introduce yourself in 30secs- 60secs.
- In your introduction let them know what you are studying, how long into your course and why you are interested in the organisation
- Be energetic and show genuine interest in the hotel/company
- Be confident, professional and show a positive attitude
- Ask for business a card and further contact detail
Follow up with Employers
- Be sure to follow up with an email to each person that you have spoken to. This will help them to remember you and keep maintaining the relationship.
Selection process questions
- What general qualities and skills do you look for in potential candidates?
- What experiences are considered valuable?
- What does your selection and recruitment process consist of?
- What do you look for in an online application (or resume)?
- What advice would you give to someone looking for an internship positions?
Things to Avoid
- Asking what the hotel / company does (please do your research)
- Eating, drinking and talking at the same time
All the best for the Expo!